Monday, March 9, 2009

Steamy

I love simply veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, squash, and many others. Growing up, my parents always had veggies with our meals and even as a small child, I ate them with a bit of butter and salt. Melissa didn't like them, but then again, she didn't like much of anything. We always had steamed veggies--my parents used one of these beauties--->

After awhile it started to rust and my grandparents decided that my parents needed a "real" steamer and they bought them a fancy, electronic steamer for Christmas. It was wonderful. We continued to eat steamed veggies at almost every meal. When I went to college, I got my own metal beauty and used it for several years. When we got married, I registered and recieved my own fancy, electronic version that Dave and I use pretty much every time we eat at home. It cooks veggies, fish, chicken, rice, and pretty much anything else you could decide to steam (although, we've only used it to make veggies). It fits enough veggies for six people using one layer--a pure beauty.

That being said--tonight I'm eating alone because Dave's at class and because I ate A LOT of points at lunch, I decided that I'd eat a bit of chicken and lots of veggies for dinner. Awhile back, Vons was having a special on the bags of prewashed, precut veggies so I purchased them. Tonight, I decided to follow the "steam in the bag" directions instead of using my pretty beauty.
Overall I wasn't impressed. It took half the time, but the veggies were mushy and I put them in for LESS time than suggested (I did it for 3 minutes, it suggested 4.5-5 mintues). I think that if I ever neglected my beauty again, I'd put it in for even less time... but I think I'll just stick to my beauty, the steamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment