Friday, October 16, 2009

Missing

With tears running down her face, the teacher created awards for each of her class leaders. Reminiscing about the great year, smiling about the silly events and even funnier moments of intense stress turned laughter, and mourning over saying goodbye, she printed each student certificate. Without joy, she walked down the tile hallway into another classroom. Upon entering, she handed the certificates to another teacher and showed her where to sign her name.

"You're getting some great kids, my kids," the teacher said while trying to hold back the quivering chin and approaching tears, "they are stronger and better than I could have ever hoped for a year ago."

As she watched the other teacher sign her name to the awards certificate, the teacher felt utter sadness wash over her.

This sad story has been my reoccuring dream for the past three nights. I miss my yearbook kids. The specific kids--the ones who know me and how I operate, the ones who cared about me as much as I cared about them. They've moved on just like me; some of them are in eighth, ninth, and tenth grade.

One of those kid wrote me this beautiful poem last year and I treasure it in my heart. I've thought about sharing it with you (mom) before, but now I need to feel better about missing them there is no better time.

The Clock
by Madelynn Knust
The clock means so much more than just the time of day.
Each simple little part of it represents something special about you.
The face of the clock represents the smile you put on my face each day that I entered your class sixth period.
The numbers represent the countless times you make school worth attending.
The countless hours you devoted to my future.
The countless times I will remember what I learned
from you down the long road of life.
The long arm of the clock represents how I have felt your
arms reaching out to help me achieve my goals.
They represent the support that I have felt from you,
as if your arms have been wrapped around me with support.
The second hand as it sweeps on so quickly, represents how fast
I knew you were going to be a special person in my life.
It represents the speed in which I have been able to learn from your teachings,
and the too swift passing of the time I have had with you.
The alarm represents the eagerness at which I rose each morning
knowing that I would have the opportunity to learn from your knowledge.
Whenever you see a clock please remember that you have been a life changing influence in my life.
I know as time moves forward others will be blessed with your special qualities.
Remember how thankful I am for this time I have had with you... the time that has changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment