Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sharon

This is Sharon.  She was in my ninth grade reading intervention class four years ago (my first year at AHS).  Our year together was great for Sharon, she joined the AVID program and started getting good grades. Fast forward to this fall, as a senior Sharon has decided that she wants to join the Army but was concerned that she wouldn't be successful.  She main the hard decision to apply (and was accepted) for the Sunburst Youth Academy.  This is a five month residential program designed for at-risk students.  She asked me to be her mentor.  Fast forward another few months and Sharon has been at SYA for nine weeks.  Last Sunday, I went to the "mentor training" and then had a hour time with Sharon.  I'm proud of her hard work and look forward to our mentor relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment