Monday, May 25, 2009

My project, day two

My mom and dad came up to Riverside after a party in Long Beach, so I had a helper for the next step of my project!! After some trial and error, my dad helped me build the frame for my footer. We had a few issues because of the ROCK hard ground, but the second side of the door became much easier.
Behind us here you can see the frame. After we built the frame, we mixed one bag of concrete in the handy tub we bought at Home Depot. Then another and another. Three bags that we thought we needed for the whole thing only filled the smaller of the two side.
After the first layer of concrete, we added a metal reinforcement and I pushed it down into the first layer. After that, we added a second layer and pounded it down to get all the air pockets off. We sent Dave to Home Depot to get six more bags of concrete (it was his fastest trip ever, twenty minutes flat).
After all the concrete was in, we dug in up?!? According to my dad, we do this to get the air out... but mainly because everyone he's seen "do" concrete has done it. After digging, we flattened it out again.

Here we are with our final product--which has to dry for seven days before I can work on the next part of my project :)

My dad is wonderful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment