Friday, June 19, 2009

Home Cookin' Lesson: Layered Enchiladas

Often I joke that the WW meetings are like my AA meetings, but the main difference? Alcoholics can/should/do complete stop drinking when they are "on track" with AA! I will fully admit that I am a foodolics, a truly fat child, a food-lover and it would be better for me to stop eating; however, I can't stop eating completely or I'll die! It would be like an alcholic having to have one class of wine, but just one, a day! So it brings me to a dilemma that I'm sure everyone who has ever tried to lose weight comes to--which food to eat, how much to eat, how to fullfil the cravings, and how to pass up on something you really want.

I use to make a big deal about how I lost weight even though I ate out four or five times a week; as part of my renewed sense of purpose and mission #5 (cooking healthy, filling foods) I will begin cooking.

Today, for lunch I was craving cheese (as always) so I decided to make a yummy layered enchilada cassarole. We made something similar at my Tupperware party and I've been dying to make it again. This time, I carefully measured out the cheese and all the other ingredients to make sure I was accurage to my recipe I created on the WW website (coolest thing ever--Recipe Builder--free with ETools).
For 8 points, this recipe creates 6 servings.

Layered Enchilada Cassarole
  • 12 oz boiled chicken breasts, shredded finely (I used my KitchenAid Mini-Chopper for perfect little pieces)
  • 1 can Enchilada Sause (green or red, mild or spicy, I used mild red)
  • 9 small Corn Tortillas
  • 2 1/2 cups Shredded Colby and Monterey Jack Cheese
  • 1 small can sliced olives

Instructions (I used my handy-dandy tupperware microwave container and cooked it all there, but I'm assuming that it would work exactly the same in the oven)

  • Spray bottom with Pam Non-stick spray
  • Layer three corn tortillas
  • Layer a thin layer of shredded chicken, olives, cheese
  • Cover with another layer of corn tortillas
  • Pour as much enchilada sause as desired
  • Repeat three times (to double the recipe, add more layers)
  • Top with remaining cheese and olives
  • Cook in Tupperware Cook n' Serve for 15 minutes on Med-High (Oven times different!)
  • Sit for 5 minutes and serve

1 comment:

  1. Mmm Those 'Encliadas'look good. They remind me of enchiladas.

    For what it's worth, I'm proud of you that you are deciding to get back on track full force.

    ReplyDelete