Monday, June 15, 2009

Whirlwind of Activity


Monday has come again and I can't believe a full week has passed by already. I wrapped up the school year with sadness as I said goodbye to my students, my school, and many relationships that have formed over the past four years. I know we're adults and living in the same town, but everyone is so busy, I know we won't see each other often. (To the left: Kacey and Shannon, two of my wonderful yearbook students)

I felt an outpouring of love from my students and their parents when they found out that I'd be leaving Central. Maddie, one of my yearbook kids, wrote me a beautiful poem that I will frame and keep forever. They signed cards, hugged me over and over again, and shed a few tears. Overall, the students took it better than me :) (Below: Nicole and Brianna, two of my yearbook class leaders who have been in yearbook with me for two years!)

Thursday was our promotion ceremony, which was beautiful. Mr. Garcia started the tradition of releasing doves into the air after we ring the bell nine times to signify their promotion to ninth grade and like every other year, when those birds fly I cry with joy for my kiddos. After promotion, the staff had the end of the year party at Mi Tortilla. Parts of the party caused tears to flow (I doubt that there was a dry eye in the place) and goodbyes were said to fourteen staff members (teachers and classified) that will be finding new homes next year. (To the left: Ruth Hutchison, the woman who I aspire to be when I "grow up")

Friday I packed up the remaining of my classroom and talked to a lot of people. Three of my wonderful kids came to help me in the afternoon, but I was finished, so they helped Mrs. Balice and played with Melissa and I.

Saturday I had my last class for my one unit class, then went shopping with Melissa. It was relaxing to spend money :) We went and saw "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock in the evening. It was, by far, the best chick flick I've seen in a very long time. Melissa and I laughed so hard and walked out talking about it.
Yesterday, Melissa and I went to Disneyland for most of the day. Steven and Brian joined up with us at the Celebration Parade (by the way, WONDERFUL parade) and went on a few rides.
This morning, I interviewed at Arlington HS with Mr. Garcia, a VP, and the English department chair. The interview went well and I look forward to hearing the the official "you're hired" late this week.

Melissa and I are now off to Disneyland to watch Nightastic and the new firework show. Dad and Steven are meeting us there, so it should be an eventful day.

Tomorrow, my plan is to read a book and get a pedicure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment