Monday, March 1, 2010

Beautiful Living Room

Remember this?

The yellowy walls and holes all over the place? Walking into the living room is was beyond obvious that we bought a "fixer-upper." Our living room caused gasps of horror from many friends and even a few contractors.

Not anymore! We have had a beautiful living room since early December (even though I never blogged about it) and now when people walk in we get a totally different response! The first time my parents saw it my mom said, "whoa, beauuuuttttiful!" and then commented about it again every ten minutes or so.
I convinced Dave to go with a mocha color (it seemed pretty dark when I tested it on the walls and I'll admit I was sort of worried it would be too dark) and we continued the Swiss Coffee white on the door and trim. I love the color and how the white makes it pop! The moulding was already in the room, it just didn't pop before with the ugly yellow.
The mirror above I bought for the hall bathroom (it was too big), and it fits nicely in that spot. The cream sheer curtains have been resurrected (they have been everywhere--CBU Lancer Arms, Casa #7 and #12B, and now here) and the green/gold valances came from Wal-mart.
Using Christmas money from Grandma T and Grandpa, my mom found and bought this beautiful mirror at TJ Max for me. It is set into a picture frame of bronze-gold and matches perfectly. I haven't decided what want to put on each side of it (can't have sconces on two walls?). The plate artwork on the left wall is from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Although it looks heavy, it only weighs about 2 pounds. The colors in it are perfect to tie together this room, our current furniture and give me a place to go.
The color in this pictue is off, but you can see that the entertainment center has been moved to the other side of the room and set at an angle. It matches okay and it will definatly have to stay awhile for cost sake.
This room is done for now. Someday in the future, it will get 4 inch baseboards (after the floors are refinished) and a refinished fireplace mantle (when dad decides he has the time and paticence). It might even get a whole new wall if we decide to knock out a wall between here and the red room.

No comments:

Post a Comment