Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sleep

My parents believed in an enforced, consistant bedtime. As a small child, I remember clearly having to be in bed by 7:30 and up until the end of high school I remember being in bed by 8:30.

When Dawson's Creek came on in January of 1998 (sophmore year in high school) I still had a set 8:30 bedtime, but was given special permission to stay up on Wednesday nights to watch it with my mom and sister after church. Going to bed was never an issue with me because it was a set expectation and I really like to sleep. In high school I left the house at 6:35 am to get to school before first period bell at 7:21. Going to sleep at 8:30 gave me 8-9 hours of sleep.

I often wonder if my parents had been more relaxed with our bedtimes if I would need less sleep now as an adult. In order to be a peppy, happy person I still need between 8-9 hours... to be manageable, but considerably more calm person, 7 works... but give me less than 7 and you don't want to be around me. Today was one of those days... I am a grumpy, flustered person without sleep.

Morning time isn't my favorite until about 9 am and night time isn't really good after about 9 pm. The middle of the day is my time! I soar in the middle of the day!!

Last night we spent a wonderful night at "The Melting Pot" for Tawni's birthday (more on that to come); the four-course dinner was fun and it was great to spend time with all my friends, but dessert wasn't served until 9:30 pm! We didn't get home until close to 11:15! I get up at 5:30 friends! That is only SIX hours... and you want me to be nice to one hundred and seventy two ninth graders all day?!? Setting myself up for failure!

1 comment: