Saturday, September 12, 2009

Without further delay

Our NEWLY FINISHED Guest BathroomBelieve it or not, I had an image in my head that I wanted to recreate in this tiny space and it all stemmed from my the painting by Jack Vettriano called "Dance Me to the End of Love." I had the poster version of this hanging up at the apartment and love it. On a trip to Home Depot before we'd closed on the house, I saw the glass time that we used for the accent strip and the countertop and the bathroom was born in my head. Right now I'll be okay with my poster of "Dance Me to the End of Love," but I'd love something more "real."
The mirror is a tilting mirror, mounted high for Dave and most of the population, but tilted for me!
Another task I felt that was important in our bathroom remodel was keeping with the period of this house. Although a little too new to be considered a cottage, I decided to stay as close to that as possible. I really liked the modern look of the toliet and sink (Kohler Archer) with the old fashion idea of tiling the wall. I orignially wanted a white vanity, but I am so glad that we got this chocolate one instead!
The white tiles on the floor and wall were made by DaTile. The tile on the floor is 1X1 inch white cermaic tiles that came in 12X12 squares; however, the wall tiles are 4X4 tiles that had to be individually put into place (Dave wasn't too happy). The glass, multicolor tiles also came in 12X12 squares with mesh keeping them together. On the wall we cut them into strips, but on the countertop most of them were hand layed (I did it and LOVED it, maybe I have found a new passion?!).
I could not find the faucet that I wanted at Home Depot or Lowe's so I called Tim over at Plumbersurplus.com and he had just what I wanted. This ceramic and brush nickle faucet was just what I was looking for to complete the countertop look. Dave created the countertop with plywood and hardibacker, attached it to the vanity, and I tiled it with a butter knife!
This hand towel holder and duel towel bar also came from Plumbersurplus.com and matches the faucet perfectly (again, another thing I could only find there). My mom found these towels and the shower curtain at Marshalls (amazing how well they compliment the tile!?).

The bathroom had this giant cabinet that held most of Dave's tools for this eight month project. When I started thinking about how to best use it, I found these shelves (Home Depot to the rescue) as a pretty cheap alternative to wasted space. The cabinet is two and a half feet deep and each wood shelf was a little more than two feet apart. By adding the metal shelving, we added a lot more useable storage. I went plastic container crazy, organized, and labeled everything. This is the top shelf and the things at the top are things we use once in a while.

Dave thinks that this cabinet may have been a stand alone shower at one point in time (when we moved in the tub was only a tub, no shower), but we decided that the storage was nice. Right now there are no cabinet doors, so I spent $5 on a white linen shower curtain :)

The vanity light and the overhead light for your viewing enjoyment.



I offically "moved in" to this bathroom the week school started (August 17th) and it has been wonderful! The water is hot within a minute, it isn't extremely cold or extremely hot (like the other one), there is so much storage room!

The only thing left to finish is the trim around the windows and door which Dave promises will be done tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I hope you're proud. All the hard work really paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOooh! It is so Beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the efforts of dear old dad?

    ReplyDelete