Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Yelling

As much as it may suprise you, I don't yell at my students. I make it a point to not let them get me that angry and usually send them outside to cool off so that I can cool off it it is getting to that point. In four years of teaching I can count on one hand the number of times I have raised my voice (4). I can also tell you every single kiddo that caused the voice-raising and exactly what they did...
Today I got closer to hand number two, I yelled at a kid. I was mad. I am still mad. So mad, that I don't even care (yet) that I yelled at him. I think he needed it--continual disrespect, talking back, and rudeness will not win you brownie points in my class especially when you add some cuss words and tell ME (the teacher who is staying calm although she wants to pull your hair out) that I am being rude?!?
What I wanted to say: Kid, who do you think you are? Oh, wait, I know, you're the kid that has failed every class and reads at a first grade level and instead of trying to improve and working with the teacher who is working with you, you're going to be "funny" so no one will notice. Sorry, kid, I noticed and "funny" isn't going to cut it in here. Shut up.
What I did say (very loudly): You're not funny and I don't appreciate being treated with disrespect and talked back to. Please make a positive choice. This positive choice should include you closing your mouth and remembering what respectful behavior looks like.
After this he continued to talk back and I kicked him out. Maybe tomorrow I'll regret it, but right now, it brings me peace to know that he got the "chewing out" that he deserved. The watery-eyes that I saw also prove that the information was going into his head.
I also wrote him a referral (all good yelling is referral requiring) and kicked him out of my class for two days. Even better, I sent an email to his coach and he'll be benched for two practices and one game.

No comments:

Post a Comment