Saturday, September 26, 2009

Year Five

These are the things that make me love teaching...


Teaching is challanging; every year, month, day, and period is different and requires constant modification and reflection. Dr. Miller (RUSD's superintendent) has set the goal that every teacher knows every student's name, need, and story--this goal is my daily goal and has been since the first day I stepped into a classroom. I was emotionally involved with many of my students at Central, felt their pains, and loved to watch them grow and mature.


Investing in my yearbook students made a lasting impact of my and I'd like to think on them. I love that I can walk onto the field at a freshman football game (Poly Bears vs. Arlington Lions) and talk to students I had two, three, four years ago. I love that I can still invest in these students with encouragment and praise.


There are also things I don't love about teaching...


Although different, teaching is also the same. Each year, there are student issues, paperwork to fill out, meetings to sit in, and parents to notify. There are also more requirements, more pressure, more tests, and less resources. There are irritating students who have parents who have created the monster. The worse part is working with teachers and administrators who hate kids (collecting a paycheck) but don't realize that they need to leave the profession.


This year has been difficult. The parts of teaching I love aren't on the forfront of my day-to-day activities. My ninth graders share less naturally and don't rely upon adults as much. I have no yearbook class to invest in; my SELA class would rather do anything other than make effort. I know this year may become a great year and I have great potential to have an impact, but I feel quite "bored" with teaching at the moment.


I couldn't see myself leaving the classroom right away for administration, but now, I feel like I'd do it tomorrow if I have the chance. Then again, isn't the five year mark suppose to be the one of indecision in teaching? Maybe I'm just in the year five funk.


No comments:

Post a Comment