Sunday, January 17, 2010

bad mood

I was going to blog about how great my boys did against the Jets, but that didn't turn out well. Frankly, it has put me in an incredibly bad mood.

Bad moods usually make me want to complain about things.

Then I read a blog at the PrincipalsPage (a witty, very sarcastic superintendent's take on school politics, annoying parents, and life in general) about school change. He basically said that we should stop teaching stupid, useless things like spelling, cursive, memorization of facts, etc.

I agree.

Just last Wednesday during our ninth grade team meeting, my fellow teachers began complaining that students did not know how to use a dictionary, didn't know what the abbreviation "ant" or "syn" stood for, and couldn't figure out how to spell a words, etc. Expressing my opinion is usually met with eye-rolls by a a few teachers and this time it was no exception (I wish I could keep my mouth shut in these situations, but I can't).

"Why do they need to know how to use the dictionary? They have the internet and they all know that dictionary.com will provide an answer in 3 seconds."

"Yes, Jennifer, but how are they going to know the synonyms if they can't find it in the dictionary?"

"Um, have you ever looked up a word online? It usually says the word, multiple definitions, synonyms, and antonym. There is usually a lot more space to spell out the words, add sound bites, sentences with the word used correctly..."

"Yes, but how will they know if the word is spelled right?"

At this point, I stopped and laughed, "That is the reason they don't use the dictionary; there are no spelling suggestions when they're wrong."

The roll-eyeing increases at this point to a head shake and the standard blow-off statement, "You young teachers, you just don't understand."

After five years of getting this type of reaction, I have (thankfully) learned to be quiet at this point and simply say, "maybe."

BUT what I am thinking is...

"NO, you don't understand. You wonder why you have students who hate you and that you spend 90% of your time trying to get the students to do things "your way" instead of learning. You wonder why your test scores suck and no matter how closely you follow the textbook, they don't increase (then you say the test doesn't matter and can't judge you). You wonder why students fall asleep in your classroom with your overhead projector and old grainy photocopies. You are the one that doesn't get it."

Until they "get it" they will continue to complain, I will continue to attempt to "enlighten" them, and I'm sure I will continue to get the eye-roll.

That is until I rule the school as an administator--then they will nod their head at me and smile and go back to their classroom and make the same mistakes...

Disclaimer: Dictionary.com does not pay me; I am a real user. However, if they wish to, they can contact me at jenniferspfeffer@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment