Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Best teacher ever

best: (adjective) most advantageous, suitable, or desireable
It has always been my goal to be the best teacher possible. I want to serve my students and create a learning atmostshere that is fun and engaging.
In my honors and AP classes I had amazing teachers, by far the best teachers at El Capitan High School. Not only did they give me a great advantage in college, but their teaching was suitable for the brillance that was surrounding me (in all my brillant friends, not me) and challanged us to grow and learning. Our classes held a high level of desireability when it came to college applications and even helped out most of us for college units from AP tests. Now I say this because, my best teachers were teaching AP classes. How often can students in "normal" classes say that their teachers were the most advategous, suitable, or desireable for them? I hear stories from friends who were not in AP/honors classes and I am appalled at the lack of good teaching.
While I do enjoy teaching the honors (GATE) classes, I teach all "normal" classes this year. Does that mean that I should not challange my students? Does that mean that I should not expect them to do the same thing that I'd expect GATE students to do? Does that mean I give worksheets and show movies instead of reading the book? NO.
My goal is to be the best teacher for every single student reguardless of which class they are in and which "track" they've been placed in after years in the NCLB world.
I want to be the most advantageous for them--they should be leaving my class wholey prepared to enter tenth grade and score proficient on the CST. They should have everything they need, if they choose to use it, to advance into a honors class.

I want to be the most suitable for them--I must continue to search out ways to teach the material that is interesting and applies to each learning modality. Teaching with visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners in mind is critical to all of my students success. Not only should I be aware of their brain, but I need to teach them how to make their brain more effective.
I want to be the most desireable for them--I know, every student will not like me; however, I want to make sure that I am pushing them enough that they don't wish they were in another teacher's class. I would like the reputation of "the teacher that pushed me to learn for myself."
In order to do all of these things, I continue to be a student myself. Trainings and books should not be considered a waste of time, but instead a chance for me to improve in my skills to better serve my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment