Saturday, January 16, 2010

Mt. Rubidoux


In 1906, Frank Miller and Henry Huntington decided turn Mt. Rubidoux into a significant part of Riverside culture. Before the 1930's hit, they had insituted it as a Riverside landmark, make sure that it had a paved road, a cross, and a multitude of people admiring it.
In 2001 at CBU's new student orientation, I was introduced to the mountain. As part of the orientation week, students and student leaders walked the mountain to sing praise songs together at the top. I dreaded the climb, but went. Several overweight people and myself walked slowly stopping A LOT in order to make it. By the time we reached the top, the worship team was done playing and were packing up the small sound equipment they had brought with them. It took me almost two hours to get to the top.
After that awful day, I refused to go each year as a student leader during orientation. It was humilating, even though no one said anything negative to me. Last year after I had successfully lost 70 pounds, Des and I decided that we'd walk up it and we made it. As I reached this top this time, I had an incredibly different feeling of accomplishment.
I want to make the walk a habit. Last weekend, Tawni and I hiked up. Today, Reese and I went up by ourselves. I made it to the top in 40 minutes. Even better, I passed A LOT of people on my way up. It was the best feeling ever.
As I reached the top, my Zen was playing "what an amazing God you are, I stand in awe of you." I stopped and thanks God that He gave me the strength and the determination to change my life for the better and that he made a mountain like Mt. Rubidoux to show me that I can accomplish new things with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment